At Direct Line Group, we're shaping the future. With a mission to make insurance easier and better value for our customers, we embrace change in all its richness and variety. It's not just what we do; it's how we do it. We bring our whole selves to work every day and embrace fresh thinking - after all, Britain is constantly changing and to protect the nation, we adapt with it.
Across our diverse brands - including Direct Line, Churchill, Privilege and Green Flag - change takes many forms. We appreciate the knowledge and skills that each one of us brings to the business. It's hard not to be inspired by the things that make us unique. Boldness, curiosity and enthusiasm go a long way. And they're helping us transform the industry we lead.
Principal Motor Underwriting Performance Analyst
Motor Underwriting Performance are a team within the Pricing & Underwriting function at Direct Line Group. Our purpose is to create new ways of delivering market-leading underwriting performance in a competitive environment. We do this using our analytical skills to come up with innovative ways of improving our underwriting tools to target profitable business and help us deliver greater value to our customers.
The Principal Motor Underwriting Performance Analyst will play a key role in this team, taking the lead on top business priorities for 2018 and beyond. The successful candidate will show their creativity to come up with solutions to trading problems that cannot be fixed today, and use their delivery skills to work with experts across the organisation to deliver their projects.
We have some high-profile targets in 2018, so the Principal Motor Underwriting Performance Analyst will get the opportunity to deliver a range of initiatives with visibility across the business, and as such there is significant scope to develop mentoring and influencing skills. Prior experience of Motor insurance or underwriting is welcome, but not critical if you feel you have the commercial awareness, creativity and appreciation of the value that can be delivered through enhanced underwriting capability.
What being a Principal Motor Underwriting Performance Analyst involves:
- Provide expert technical and analytical underwriting support to achieve performance targets and the Underwriting strategy including supporting the delivery of change within Pricing & Underwriting and across divisions.
- Lead the evaluation of benefits, the presentation of recommendations to key stakeholders and ensure delivery of changes to underwriting rules (including referral rules), rating and footprint across all [Product] channels to deliver key trading performance metrics, whilst ensuring adequate control of risk appetite. Work together with the Underwriting Development team on any future underwriting footprint development opportunities identified.
- Monitor exposure trends in underwriting performance and mix monitoring MI, delivering expert analysis and reviewing potential mitigating actions. Present appropriate reports to relevant trading and risk forums
- Stay up to date, investigate and present recommendations for new reports or monitoring tools that the Development team could deliver to improve UW Performance Management
- Monitor and provide expert analysis on the impact of the underwriting question set and underwriting data sources, including application fraud prevention measures, on key trading and customer metrics. Evaluate benefits, make recommendations and ultimately ensure the successful delivery of changes. Work together with the Underwriting Development team on any future question set, underwriting data and fraud prevention development opportunities identified.
- Guide on the delivery of changes to align underwriting rules with Technical & Margin Pricing developments and changes in Pricing capability.
- Provide mentoring, support and coaching to other analysts in the team in order to develop their capability and improve the delivery of the Performance team.
- Effectively deputise for the [Product] Underwriting Performance Manager when required.
- Ensure appropriate Underwriting controls are in place and followed with respect to testing, implementing and adhering to wider company risk appetite.
- Liaise with a wide variety of teams in order to shape, own and deliver your team's priorities, working effectively with the wider Underwriting team, Category teams, wider Pricing and Underwriting teams and other areas.
Skills & qualities you'll need:
- Educated to degree level, ideally with demonstrable experience in Underwriting or Pricing
- Experience of analysis, and an ability to take statistical and qualitative information and turn it into something that adds value to the business
- Commercial awareness, ideally of the Personal Lines Motor Insurance market
- Self- sufficient thinking and working, with an ability plan your deliveries and organise resources
- A positive attitude with an ability to influence stakeholders
- Skilled user of Excel
- Experience using SAS and QlikSense (or equivalent) preferable