GSD is a line of business within American Express GBT that is accountable for servicing our customers. In addition to frontline servicing teams of 6,500 people across multiple global locations, it also includes several enabling and supporting functions such as Customer Implementations, Performance Analytics & Reporting, Learning & Development, WorkForce Management and Project Management/ Process Engineering.
In GSD, we are implementing significant change to our processes, systems, technology, culture and ways of working. We are focused on transforming our servicing model to become more technology-enabled and efficient, supporting the growth of the business and empowering our Travel Consultant (“TC”) teams to provide an exceptional customer experience. These changes are being managed at a global, regional and country level.
Recently, we have adopted a holocratic-based philosophy in GSD, with empowered and agile self-managed teams supported by coaches, rather than operating in a traditional command and control hierarchy.
We recognize that for us to be successful, we need to continually and effectively communicate and engage with our office-based and virtual teams across 24 countries. We have coaches, leaders and support teams who are committed to communicating and engaging with our people and require professional communications expertise on holistic messaging, content, timing, distribution and style preferences.
Our Internal Communications Lead
You will create and lead a next generation internal communications strategy, introducing best practice on engaging with people in a dynamic environment. Given the virtual and diverse nature of our global workforce we anticipate this to be a unique and exciting prospect and one that aims to revolutionize how we connect with each other on an ongoing basis.
You will be part of the Service Transformation team and work closely with the GBT Internal Communications team, other corporate functions such as HR, L&D and External Communications/ PR and the GSD senior leaders.
In addition to and as part of the creation and implementation of our internal communications strategy, your initial areas of focus are likely to be:
- Exploratory interviews with TCs, coaches, leaders and support functions as well as reviews of communication collateral, business performance KPIs and employee engagement survey feedback and action plans.
- Reviewing internal audience demographics and the corresponding levels of receptiveness to different styles of communication with a view to tailoring internal communications to audience preferences – maximizing the effectiveness of content and delivery.
- Identifying key internal communications priorities – with an initial focus on the TC population to help improve their effectiveness, efficiency and engagement.
- Developing clear, simple and compelling communications collateral; plan, edit and write content for a variety of internal communications mediums.
- Formulating a robust internal communications framework for crisis situations and incident management.
- Developing a learning pathway for coaches and leaders - in skills, tips and techniques in communication & engagement, collating/ writing learning material and delivering learning events as required.
- Optimizing the timing and targeting of communications - streamlining operational communications and delivering internal communications at the right time for the right audience.
- Prioritizing and filter messages to reduce information overload - providing direction on and use of communications vehicles depending on message type and urgency.
- Measuring and analyzing the success and effectiveness of internal communications – message readership, understanding of content, behavioural change, etc.
- Ensure that internal communications are consistent across all mediums and that internal communications messages are consistent with external communications and reflects the organization’s strategic vision.
What you will bring to the team
To be successful in this role, you are likely to have the following:
- Strong internal communications experience – you will have worked in large, complex, global customer-facing organizations, some time in an agency would be preferable.
- Interest in travel and a passion for communications and technology is essential, travel sector experience is not.
- Multi-national experience, preferably global.
- Ability to work in an ambiguous, fluid and fast-paced environment.
- Strong verbal and written communicator – proven expertise, including presentation skills and training facilitation/ delivery.
- Ability to think strategically but you will enjoy and be able to “roll up your sleeves”.
- Track record of tenacious delivery of complex multi-national projects.
- Strong relationship and influencing skills.